Rams Command Respect With OT Win Over 49ers
by Patrick Imig (@patrickimig)
Cold Hard Football Facts' Tie Master Inventor
It took more than 74 minutes yet again but this time there was a winner. The St. Louis Rams defeated the NFC-favorite San Francisco 49ers 16-13 with 26 seconds remaining in overtime.
It was the most indecisive season sweep evahh but a sure sign the Rams under Jeff Fisher are no longer NFC West doormats.
WEEK 13 REMATCH BY THE NUMBERS
At times, the box score can mislead. Not with the Rams and 49ers in Week 13.
The 49ers churned out 18 first downs, the Rams churned out 16 first downs.
The 49ers ran 71 plays, the Rams ran 68 plays.
Both the 49ers and Rams completed 13 drives.
49ers workhorse Frank Gore averaged 2.5 YPA (23 rushes, 58 yards) while Rams thoroughbred Steven Jackson averaged 2.3 YPA (21/48).
49ers QB Colin Kaepernick finished with a passer rating of 83.9 while Rams QB Sam Bradford finished with a passer rating of 81.2.
Kaepernick averaged 9.3 YPA on the ground (9/84) while Sam Bradford averaged 10.3 YPA on the ground (10/31).
49ers backup RB Brandon Jacobs rushed four times for six yards; Rams backup RB Daryl Richardson rushed three times for six yards.
Both 49ers kicker David Akers and Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein converted 2/3 field goals, with both missing from over 50 yards (Akers 51, Zuerlein 58).
49ers punter Andy Lee had a long punt of 61 yards, Rams punter Johnny Hekker had a long punt of 63 yards.
SEASON SERIES BY THE NUMBERS (149 Minutes, 34 seconds)
The Rams churned out 43 first downs, the 49ers churned out 43 first downs.
Frank Gore rushed for 155 yards on 44 caries (3.5 YPA), Steven Jackson rushed for 149 yards on 50 carries (3.0 YPA)
The 49ers averaged 5.04 Yards Per Play (YPP) while the Rams averaged 5.1 YPP.
Both David Akers and Greg Zuerlein went 3/5 in FG attempts. Akers, however, missed his two kicks in overtime of each game. Zuerlein missed his OT kick from 58 yards out in Week 10 after the Rams had a delay of game penalty negating his 53 yard conversion. His successful OT attempt in Week 13 won it for the Rams.
The biggest difference comes in the Defensive Hog front. The Rams sacked 49ers passers eight times in two games while Sam Bradford was sacked four times in two games. This difference has been the defining factor in our Quality Stats as well. We noted in our game preview on CHFF Insider that the Rams ranked 5th overall in forcing negative pass plays while the 49ers ranked 30th overall in giving up negative pass plays.
RAMS PULL AHEAD IN ALL TIME SERIES
With the victory, the Rams lead the series all time 63-62-3.
That looks better than 62-62-4. Barely.
That's the same adjective that could be used to described the statements "David Akers missed in overtime" and "Greg Zuerlein made it in overtime" in Week 13.
- Aaron Hernandez Quizzed In Death Probe: Tough Week To Be Patriots Tight End
- Former Bears WR David Terrell Says He'd Cut Off His Balls To Play W Jay Cutler
- Roger Goodell Defends Redskins Name In Letter To Congress
- Video: Pat Imig's FN NFL Update June 09
- Chuck Norris: 'Clutch' Tim Tebow An 'Athletic Warrior'
- NFL Today: The Golden Age Of The Ground Game
- Wes Welker Excited About "Freedom" In Denver
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- 2013 NFL Schedule: The Year Of The Denver Broncos
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012