Doug Martin Battling Andrew Luck for Rookie of the Year
While Planet Pigskin marvels at the performances of Andrew Luck and RGIII, Doug Martin has exploded the past three weeks to the tune of Moving Pictures' "what about me?"
It's not that Luck doesn't deserve the praise and recognition. After all, he tied Peyton Manning's rookie record with four 300-yard passing games in a single season in the Colts' 23-20 win over Miami ... the same game that saw Luck break Cam Newton's single game rookie record for passing yards.
But this is about Doug Martin.
The Tampa Bay running back rushed for a team record 251 yards and four touchdowns in the Buccaneers’ 42-32 Week 9 win at Oakland. Martin joined former Broncos RB Mike Anderson as the only player in NFL history to rush for at least 250 yards and four touchdowns in a game.
Martin is the first player in NFL history with three rushing touchdowns of at least 40 yards in a single game.
In his last three games, Martin has been a monster.
This is video game material that John Madden would shake his head at while screaming "Boom-Whap-Pow":
70 rushes, 471 yards (6.7 YPA), 6TD
10 receptions, 137 yards, 1 TD
That's 80 touches for 608 yards and seven TDs. Of those seven scores, five have been longer than 35 yards: 36, 45, 64, 67, 70
As a team, Tampa Bay's Week 9 output was the most total yards in a game since 1980. They've scored 106 points over the past three games, albeit against the Saints, Vikings and Raiders.
Weak opposition be damned; Doug Martin has been a statistical monster the last three weeks.
There's no denying it.
There's also no denying that Luck/Martin 2012 is a damn strong rookie ticket. This week's rookie-of-the-week voting will be more hotly contested than the Presidential election.
Unlike the politicos, both deserve the nod this week.
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012