Denver Broncos 39 Points Away From NFL History
From NFL Media Services ...BRONCOS START FAST, MANNING CLIMBS NFL RECORD BOOKS
Through the first four weeks of the NFL season, PEYTON MANNING and the Denver Broncos, along with the Kansas City Chiefs and the New England Patriots, remain unbeaten atop the AFC.
“If we can just keep getting better and better, that’s the goal,” says Broncos head coach JOHN FOX on his team’s focus. “We want to be playing our best football in February.”
Through Week 4, the Broncos have scored an NFL-best 179 points (44. 8 per game), the second-most points in a team’s first four games in NFL history, trailing only the 1966 Dallas Cowboys (183 points).
On Sunday against the Cowboys at AT&T Stadium (CBS, 4:25 PM ET), Denver needs 39 points to set the all-time record for the most points in a team’s first five games in NFL history.
The teams with the most points in the first five games of a season:
St. Louis Rams
New Orleans Saints
*Through four games
Manning, who is in his 16th NFL campaign and second in Denver, has led the Broncos to 15 consecutive regular-season wins, the longest active streak in the NFL. With a victory on Sunday at Dallas, Manning can join New England’s TOM BRADY as the only quarterbacks in NFL history to win at least 16 consecutive regular-season games multiple times in a career.
Manning and Brady’s winning streaks of at least 16 regular-season games as starters:
New England Patriots
New England Patriots
Through Week 4, Manning leads the NFL in completions (117), passing yards (1,470), touchdown passes (16) and passer rating (138). Manning’s 16 touchdown passes are the most through the first four games of a season in NFL history.
“They are not nearly as good right now as they will be in November,” says Manning’s former head coach and NBC Sports analyst TONY DUNGY. “These receivers are still learning him and are going to be even better in a month.”
Added former NFL quarterback and CBS Sports analyst BOOMER ESIASON, “When you watch him play he’s smarter than he’s ever been.”
With 405 passing yards on Sunday, Manning (60,957) can surpass Pro Football Hall of Famer DAN MARINO (61,361) for the second-most in NFL history.
The quarterbacks with the most career passing yards in NFL history:
MOST CAREER PASSING YARDS
- Super Bowl XLIX Favorites: NFC Likely To Be Super Again In 2014
- Super Bowl XLVIII Most Watched Program In U.S. History
- Super Bowl XLVIII Postgame Stat-Palooza
- CHFF Classic: Russell Wilson NFL's Best Young QB
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Broncos-Seahawks The Statistically Perfect Super Bowl
- Prop-A-Palooza II: Hundreds More Super Bowl XLVIII Prop Bets
- Live From Media Day: Could Seattle D Stop Russell Wilson
- Seattle Seahawks Brash Legion of Boom Proves Real Statistical Deal
- AFC Champion Denver Broncos Betting Season in Review
- NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks Betting Season in Review