Bill Belichick Walks Fine Line During Press Conference
New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick addressed the Aaron Hernandez situation in a press conference in Wednesday, the day before the team kicks off training camp. See the video here.
Hernandez, of course, was arrested for murder earlier this summer and his name has been connected with various other crimes.
The famously stoic future Hall of Fame coach revealed a human side for one of the few times in his career. Of course, considering the circumstances, the coach had little choice.
"As the coach of the team, I'm primarily responsible for the people that we bring into the football operation," said Belichick. "I'm personally disappointed and hurt in a situation like this ... I always try to do what I think is best for the footballl team ... we will learn from this terrible experience."
Belichick spoke for seven minutes before taking questions ... several of which he refused to answer, of course, citing the ongoing "judicial" situation.
One reporter put the screws on Belichick: "How do you hire someone who flunks the maturity test?" referencing Hernandez's famously low score in one aspect of his pre-draft personality test.
Another reporter asked about Hernandez's "flop house" apartment, where he and other players reportedly went to engage in a variety of illicit activities.
A third reporter teed up his question by saying, "Bill, without being too specific and getting too personal ..."
Folks in the room chuckled as Belichick quickly responded: "I don't think you have to worry about that, but I appreciate the warning."
- NFL Quarterbacks On Pace For Highest Yards Per Attempt Avg In History
- Broncos D Shines On Manning's Night
- Rams QB Austin Davis Is Saving A Fan Base From Apathy
- Dallas Downs New York Giants: 3 Things We Learned
- San Diego @ Denver: TNF Preview
- CHFF's Pat Imig Talks NFL On Sportsnet 590 The Fan Toronto
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team
- Best NFL Records Of The Past 10 Years