12-12-12: No. 12 rules The Super Bowl
By Stephen Stone (@SrStoneSports)
Cold Hard Football Facts' AFC North Sniper
There are some who say Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl because he wore unlucky number 13. Maybe they are on to something. Turns out, some numbers have more success in the big game than others and the number 12 reigns supreme.
Maybe it's not a coincidence. Perhaps Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers picked their numbers to pay homage to Terry Bradshaw and Roger Staubach. As we celebrate 12-12-12, let's honor the current and future Hall of Fame quarterbacks who proudly wore the big one-two and went on to win the Super Bowl.
Not that number 12 is the only successful jersey number. There is strong competition from 16, 7 and 8, each having been worn by some of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game.
Here are all the jersey numbers that have won Super Bowls, ranked by number of wins.
Number 12 (14 winners) Super Bowl III, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX, XLV
Number 16 (seven winners) Super Bowl IV, XV, XVI, XVIII, XIX, XXIII, XIV
Number 7 (five winners) Super Bowl XVII, XXXII, XXXIII, XL, XLIII
Number 8 (five winners) Super Bowl XXVII, XXVIII, XXIX, XXX, XXXV
Number 15 (three winners) Super Bowl I, II, XXV
Number 9 (two winners) Super Bowl XX, XLIV
Number 10 (two winners) Super Bowl XLII, XLVI
Number 11 (two winners) Super Bowl XXI, XXVI
Number 4 (one winner) Super Bowl XXXI
Number 13 (one winner) Super Bowl XXXIV
Number 14 (one winner) Super Bowl XXXVII
Number 17 (one winner) Super Bowl XXII
Number 18 (one winner) Super Bowl XLI
Number 19 (one winner) Super Bowl V
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012